Yore Place

...in Egg Harbor

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Harvey's - #1301

haens

Harvey and Helen purchased the Egg Harbor gas station in 1942 and named their business Harbor Service.  The building consisted of an automobile repair and blacksmith bay, an office, and an attached living quarters where they raised five children.

Harvey was an inventor known for his mechanical cherry harvesters.  His greatest joy was solving his customer's problems by repairing or inventing a new part.  He enjoyed entertaining everyone with his stories.

Helen and the children worked the gas pumps since it was before 'self-service'..."fill'er up and check the oil" was the request from customers.  Nephews and grandchildren also helped.

In 1979, the station was sold for a gift shop, followed by the Robert Pence Art Gallery known for its flower gardens, and then in 2000 the village razed the building and removed the flower gardens to expand on Harbor View Park.

Original watercolor by PaPa Giz - 12"x16" - #1300 - Commission. Prints are available.

 

Yore Place in Egg Harbor