Yore Place

...in Egg Harbor

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

"Plum Island Life Saving Station" - #1902

Plum Island Life-Saving Station on Plum Island in Door County, Wisconsin

The Duluth-type station (building to the left) began operations April 1, 1896, serving the Portes des Morts Passage (more commonly called “Death’s Door”) at the entrance to Green Bay . In 1939 a boathouse (building to the right) was added at the end of a 200 foot pier.  In 1990 the U.S. Coast Guard abandoned the station and moved the crew to nearby Washington Island.

Plum Island is now open to the public during daylight hours from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day.  Plum Island station is the last of fifteen Duluth-style stations remaining in the Great Lakes.  Both the station and the boathouse were placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2010.  Ultimately, plans are for the boathouse to be used as a visitor’s center.  As to the 1896 Duluth-type station, when interior work is completed and the Visitor Services Plan is approved, it will be used for “researchers, explorers, naturalists, writers and dreamers”.

Original water color by Giz Herbst - 10" x 14" - Phone or email for pricing.

 

Yore Place in Egg Harbor